The annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day (FPAD) is next week, September 23! National, state, and local partners collaborate to educate professional and older adults about the impact of falls, share fall prevention strategies, and advocate for the expansion of evidence-based community fall prevention programs. In preparation for FPAD, the National Council on Aging (NCOA) would like to share a list of resource and event highlights. For additional tools and resources, visit www.ncoa.org/FPAD. Thank you for your continued efforts to make FPAD a success.
- Utah Resources at www.livingwell.utah.gov/fallsprevention.
General Resources and Handouts
- Falls Prevention Conversation Guide for Caregivers: Share this guide with caregivers to facilitate a conversation about fall risk factors and empower caregivers to develop a falls prevention action plan.
- Medication Record Form: Proper medication management can reduce fall risk. Print this medication record form to track medications and have them reviewed by a doctor or pharmacist.
- 6 Steps to Prevent a Fall Infographic: Download and share this infographic that outlines 6 easy steps older adults can take to prevent a fall. Also available in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Home Safety Assessment Tools, Home Modification Programs, and Home Modification Funding Sources for Professionals and Older Adults: View these resources to search for home modification programs in your area, obtain assessments to evaluate home safety hazards and make changes to increase safety and support, and learn about home modification funding sources from a range of agencies and organizations.
- Falls Prevention Resource List for Older Adults and Caregivers: Includes links to educational brochures, tip sheets, videos, blogs, exercise and physical activity guidebooks, motivational flyers, success stories, and more.
- Falls Prevention Awareness Day Impact Reports: Read these compilations of national, state, and local FPAD efforts to get ideas for fall prevention events, activities, and creative partnerships.
Marketing & Media
- New! Educational Fall Prevention Graphics: Share these new images to promote the importance of teamwork in preventing falls. Post these graphics on social media.
- Media Toolkit: Includes sample social media messages for Facebook and Twitter, a media tip sheet, press release template, and a media alert template.
- Interdisciplinary Falls Prevention Presentation Toolkit: Educate older adults about fall risk factors and strategies to prevent them. This presentation toolkit includes a PowerPoint, sample narration notes, and a list of resources for consumers.
- Falls Prevention Program Success Stories: Evidence-based falls prevention programs provide older adults with the skills and tools they need to live healthier, more productive lives. Share these success stories from program participants.
NCOA FPAD Events
- Facebook Live Video Broadcast: September 23 @ 12 p.m. ET. Join NCOA, older adults, and health care specialists in falls prevention for a live broadcast on Facebook as we discuss the impact of falls and how to prevent them. Listen to testimonials from older adults and tips from health care specialists. Host a video watch party and join the live online conversation.
- Twitter Chat: September 24 @ 1-2 p.m. ET. Join NCOA and national partners as we discuss strategies to prevent falls. Use the #FPAD2019 hashtag and follow us on Twitter to join the conversation and contribute resources and tips from your organization.
- Annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day Webinar recording: Watch the webinar and view the presentation slides. Learn about ideas, new tools and resources, and innovative partnerships to maximize your impact on FPAD. NCOA’s National Falls Prevention Resource Center and guest speakers from the CDC, community-based organizations, and state coalitions share successful past events that will inspire you to develop activities to engage your entire community.
- Falls Prevention Photo Contest: Oct. 31 @ 11:59 p.m. ET. NCOA is collecting positive videos and stories about older adults engaged in falls prevention activities. Visit our webpage to view contest rules.
Falls Prevention Awareness Day 2019 is made possible in part by Centene Corporation and by a grant from the U.S. Administration for Community Living.
We wish you much success with your Falls Prevention Awareness Day activities!